What it is?
Digital marketing is a form of marketing that uses the internet and digital technologies, such as computers and smartphones, to connect with customers. More than running a sponsored Instagram ad to drive sales, it’s a set of practices that interacts with customers at every stage of the buying journey. Digital marketing includes email, social media, advertising, and multimedia messaging that is distributed through mobile and web. Over 60 percent of the global population is online, and more people are joining them every day. That’s why companies are now increasing their digital marketing budgets by double-digit figures while traditional marketing gets slashed. Data plays a big part in digital marketing. Marketers can collect valuable information by tracking a customer’s journey in real time and target specific audiences by tailoring content to their preferred digital channels.
Data plays a big part in digital marketing. Marketers can collect valuable information by tracking a customer’s journey in real time and target specific audiences by tailoring content to their preferred digital channels.
Digital marketing can be divided into five main types: search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, content marketing, social media marketing, and email marketing. Each type has its own benefits and challenges, but they all work together to create a comprehensive online presence for a brand.
Digital Marketing Types
- SEO is a technique that seeks to improve the ranking of online material on search engines such as Google or Bing. It involves using keywords, links, and other factors to make the content more relevant and trustworthy for the users.
- PPC advertising is a form of online advertising where the advertiser pays a fee every time someone clicks on their ad. It allows marketers to bid for keywords and display their ads on the top or side of the search results page.
- Content marketing is a strategy that involves creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience. It can include blogs, videos, podcasts, eBooks, infographics, and more.
- Social media marketing is the use of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to promote a brand, product, or service. It involves creating engaging content, building relationships with followers, and driving traffic to the website or landing page.
- Email marketing is the use of email to communicate with potential or existing customers. It can include newsletters, promotions, offers, announcements, surveys, and more.
Why it matters?
Digital marketing is important because it helps businesses reach more customers, increase brand awareness, generate leads, boost conversions, and measure performance. It also allows businesses to adapt to changing customer preferences and expectations in the digital age.
To succeed in digital marketing, businesses need to have a clear goal, a well-defined target audience, a compelling value proposition, a consistent brand voice, and a creative strategy. They also need to use the right tools and platforms to execute their campaigns and analyze their results.
Digital marketing is not a one-time activity but an ongoing process that requires constant testing, learning, and improvement. By staying updated on the latest trends and best practices in digital marketing, businesses can gain a competitive edge and achieve their objectives.